Friday, April 11, 2008

Progress continues... down on the river

Sorry, I've been so busy this is my first post in a couple of weeks. I have numerous projects that I am working on simultaneously, aka ... juggling in designer speak. And my blog posting has suffered.

Originally I planned to post on creating cottage style but since I was out to the river home project this afternoon it seems like a good plan to post a few new images of the progress that has been made.

We are still a couple of weeks away from completion but lots has been done both on the interior and the exterior. And hurray, hurray most of the furniture was shipped early this week, which means we are right on schedule. All of the trim work is completed and the baseboards are just beautiful. Nice and deep. The exterior siding, roof and shutters are now done, as well. I was shopping yesterday picking out the bathroom hardware and miscellaneous odds and ends for the carpenters to finish up. A quick trip to the Home Depot and I managed to check quite a few items off my to do list. Let's have a look. Please excuse the exposures on some of the images.




I love, love, love this chandelier. It's very leafy and crystally perfect for this place. The homeowners really caught my vision when I suggested this piece. I ordered it about a month ago from one of Moving Designz suppliers and wasn't expecting it for another 2 weeks since it was a back ordered item. But lo and behold it came into the shop yesterday. I brought it out to the house today and begged the electicians to install it before I left. I just had to see it hanging. It is a very very nice piece and perfect for the space, a real show stopper! I should also mention that about half of the new light fixtures were hung by the time I arrived today. Only one downer, the island pendant had broken glass. Things like this happen all the time and you just have to roll with the punches and expect that little problems do occur.



Here is a wider angle view of the room showing the chandelier (and the tools). How high did I hang it? Based on the diningroom table's height of 30" I had it hung at 64" off the floor so it will be 34" above the table. I may choose to have it lowered 2" once the table is back in place.


I love the revamped stairs. The new stair treads, stained a dark walnut are now in place. And as I mentioned in the last blog we reused the existing bannister, spindles, and newel post but painted them out in Cloud White. Notice the baseboards, as I like nice and deep.


Here is a close up of the new fireplace tiling surround. The tile company did an excellent job, it's just as I imagined. This is an actual wood burning firebox. The only thing missing is the mantle piece. It was there today but not installed, thankfully, because I didn't really love it. It wasn't quite what I had expected. Note to self show picture to builder next time. I spoke with the contractor who didn't understand my vision and we will work on building an alternate. This is the fireplace in the new great room which brings me to mention we are waiting on lantern style light fixtures. Unfortunately back orders are a reality ( and real drag) in design and construction.

Here is the breakfast room, which has almost all of the cabinets fronts installed. The bartop, sink and faucet are installed now too!



This is the downstairs half bath. The old tiles are now covered with freshly painted beadboard wainscotting. For budgetary reasons the old style sink unit was not replaced. Which I think is pretty cool looking with it's chrome legs and side towel bars. It was a keeper!


The upstairs main bath has had it's old wall tiles covered, again in the same fresh beadboard trim.




Here we're looking at the almost complete vanity in the same bathroom. Which brings us to an end of the new pictures. I didn't take any of the kitchen this time due to all the construction debris.
My next set of images should show a remarkable change. By this time next week the renovation should be pretty much complete. The cleaning crew should be done and everything will be looking shiny and new. I ordered all the window blinds last week and with any luck a few of them will be in and installed.
On a weather note, spring has finally arrived. The mounds of snow are slowly melting and the robins are back. Always a good sign. Can you believe they are called for 10cm of snow tomorrow? Yes they are... good thing I got my winter tires off on Wednesday. Hopefully this will be the last of the winter that never seemed to end.
Have a nice weekend.
Susan

No comments: