Thursday, August 26, 2010

Hands On

For this weeks post I have a few things to share with you.  First, an email along with accompanying pictures I received yesterday from one of our customers/friends at Moving Designz Home & Cottage.  I get lots of lovely comments and personal emails from bloggers each week and this is one that I found particularly touching.  It made my day and I'm sure you'll agree this is too cute not to share. 

Thank you Kelly for sharing this moment with me and agreeing to let me post on it. 


 Meet Rebecca Moorehead.  A young designer(and fashionista) at work.

"The day Rebecca and I were in to Moving Designz, Rebecca wanted to buy something. She picked out the items she wanted. When we got home from the cottage she started putting together her items. Here are a few pictures of my little apprentice and the end result. Pretty cute! I especially the work wear - a bathing suit! Kelly"


Rebecca is carefully assembling her lovely beach inspired creation.  Like us,  Rebecca loves to create vignettes in glass vessels.  First ,she puts in a good base of beachy rock and then starts adding the twigs, next come the tiny starfish.



The finished creation.  I love it, beautifully done Rebecca.  Today is Rebecca's 7th birthday.  Happy Birthday to a great little designer!

Nice training, mom :).  Kelly Moorehead is also very creative and has her own blog called Designer Decor at http://kellymoorehead.blogspot.com/



Originally intended for Rebecca's bedroom her masterpiece found a home in the living space instead.

Speaking of hands on, I have another very neat thing to share with you...


When I was in Toronto last week we came across this shop aptly named Cube Works. 



And what do they do here?  They use their hands to create amazing pieces of artwork.


They create and recreate masterpieces of artwork using none other than the humble Rubik's Cube.


I am in awe and in love with this piece.  It was my favorite in the shop.  The thinking man totally falling to pieces.  We've all been here once or twice.   What really gets me about this piece is the cubes are twisted to reveal exactly the right colour combinations.
See more of this truly amazing work at  http://www.cubeworks.ca/



I know many of my readers have been waiting for the final pictures of the finished SGG inspired house I've been blogging on over this past year.  It's finished, done.  And I have really big big news!!!



Style at Home is going to be featuring this house in an upcoming edition of the magazine.  I hope to post on the styling and photography process over the next couple of weeks.  I am beyond excited...


Thanks for reading.  Have a great weekend!
Susan

9 comments:

Kelly Moorehead said...

That is GREAT news about Style at Home featuring one of your creations! I can't wait to see it.
Great work!
Kelly

Karen Fraser said...

Hi Susan

Awwww...Rebecca is just "not a pretty 'little face", she's got a real nack for design. Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to see this house in Style at Home too. Congratulations Susan, this speaks volumes about your skills and ability in producing a quality design in home decor!! Some day, I hope, you will design my mansion! :) I'm visualizing it right now!!
Karen Fraser

Vanessa@decor happy said...

Congrats Susan! That's great news. I knew it wouldn't be long before a shelter mag featured it.

Jessica said...

Congrats on the feature, Susan!

Rebecca is a talented young lady. She even knows that odd numbers make the best collections with her starfish!

(And thanks for the comment! I'm dying to pair that top with a sequin skirt and a faux fur vest. I bought this skirt on eBay and I think it'd be just perfect: http://twitpic.com/2i51qp )

A Room For Everyone said...

Wow, congratulations! That is wonderful news. I'm sure I can find a copy here, perhaps at Borders - I'll definitely be checking it out. I love the pics of Rebecca, what a little darling, very nice design work too. And the picture of the man falling to pieces is absolutely wonderful! Have a lovely weekend..Rachaelxx

Unknown said...

Susan,

Congrats! It sure feels fantastic when the universe winks
and says great job and shows it's true appreciation. Bravo!

Bette

DesignTies said...

I think it's safe to say... YOU HAVE ARRIVED!!! :-) Awesome!!! Can't wait to see this beyond-gorgeous house in Style At Home :-)

The Rubik's Cube artwork is amazing.

Happy Birthday to the Rebecca, the budding designer :-)

Kelly

DesignTies said...

Are you in town the weekend of Sept 25/26??

Kelly

Grace @ Sense and Simplicity said...

That is too cute - making her own arrangement of sticks and starfish at the tender age of 7. I'm looking forward to hearing about the Style at Home photo shoot. I loved that store, Cubeworks, as well, and took our french visitors there last week.